Categories

Friday, February 22, 2013

FOOD: A Pina Colada Breakfast

We made pancakes recently and Rachael thought it would be fun to make a pina colada syrup. I was on board immediately. I'm not much of a maple syrup fan, but pina colada? That sounds delicious!!!
While we were making the syrup, we decided to make a pina colada shake as well (I'm giving you the virgin recipe, but add coconut or spiced rum if you would prefer an adult version).

Elephant pancake, syrup, pina colada shake

Here's what you need:
For the pancake syrup
  • 1/4 cup corn syrup
  • 4 tsp alcohol free pina colada drink mix
  • 1 tsp sweetened condensed milk
  • Food coloring (optional)
Mix the corn syrup, pina colada flavoring, and sweetened condensed milk together. Stir well, these ingredients are thick and can be stubborn combining them. It's easiest to mix them in a liquid measuring cup because it makes it easier to pour.
At this point the syrup should be a clear/milky color. I like adding color to everything because it makes things more fun to eat. The coconut white is boring, so I added a bit of yellow food coloring to emphasize the pineapple part of a pina colada. 
Best served over pancakes with butter in my opinion. You could also heat the syrup in the microwave for about 30 seconds if preferred.



For the drink:
  • 3-4 ounces alcohol free pina colada mix
  • 7-8 ice cubes
  • 2 ounces vanilla flavored milk (optional)
Combine all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. I only say that the milk optional because the drink is pretty good on its own, but if you want a creamier smoothie, I suggest adding it.


Both these recipes are super easy! So to make up for that, I will be doing a double post today.
Up soon:
Vegetarian Chicken Pot Pie

No comments:

Post a Comment