Categories

Monday, January 7, 2013

MUSIC: Twenty One Pilots - Vessels

The strange album art 

So since I do not have any crafty ideas or foodstuffs I want to try just yet (and because I'm excited to try this whole blogging not reblogging thing), I thought I'd review the most recent CD I've gotten.

Vessels by Twenty One Pilots

I fell in love with them the moment I heard "Holding On to You" on the radio. I quickly went home and looked them up online, then proceeded to watch many, many Youtube videos of their songs.

They have a very unique sound and very powerful lyrics. When I first heard it I couldn't pinpoint what kind of music genre this brotherly duo would fall into. They are a combination of alternative rock, a bit of electronic, and rap. A strange combination it seems, but each song falls perfectly together. Their website defines the sound as a "distinctive fusion of piano-driven schizoid pop and lyrical uplift."

I received Vessels as a Christmas promise (since it was not released until January) and I tried very hard to contain my excitement. When I finally listened to the CD, it did not disappoint.

The T-shirt that came with the CD

The CD contains many of my favorite songs including "Car Radio", "Guns for Hands", and "Holding On To You." I was disappointed it was missing "Kitchen Sink", but they made up for it with an adorable new song I'm loving, "House of Gold". In the song a mother simply asks her son if he will take care her when she gets old.

One of my favorite things about Twenty One Pilots is the empowering lyrics in their songs. Many of the songs are about someone's life struggles; something everyone can relate to.

For example:
You think twice about your life
It probably happens at night, right?
Fight it, take the pain, ignite it
Tie a noose around your mind
Loose enough to breathe fine and tie it 
To a tree tell it,
You belong to me, this ain't a noose
This is a leash and I have news for you
You must obey me! - "Holding On To You"

Or much simpler:
I know it's dire, my time today - "Car Radio"

Or even more:
Don't leave me alone... - "Kitchen Sink"

Often when I get a new CD I will listen to it all the way through, then go back and play the songs I'm familiar with a few times, then again listen to it from the beginning and skip the songs that I don't like as much. This CD is different. I keep listening to it from the beginning. I haven't found a song that I want to skip. It really is an amazing album!

No comments:

Post a Comment