Categories

Wednesday, October 2, 2013

FOOD: Taco Soup? Corn and Black Bean Chili!!

As Summer began to come to a close, I quickly felt Fall approaching. And then all my Fall needs and wants began to kick in...

The past few weeks I've really been in the mood for soup. All sorts of flavorful, hearty, soups! I even have a special board on Pinterest dedicated to soups only.

Yesterday I finally decided which soup I was going to make first. Taco Soup! Taco soup is just what the name says, a taco in soup form. It's a tomato based soup, with various beans, corn, ground beef, and taco seasoning (of course!)

I really wanted to cook this in my mini crock pot while Matt and I were at work, that way it'd be all ready to go when we got home. So I put everything together, and when I came home, the crock pot had just about overflowed! So I learned that I cannot fill my crockpot up so full when cooking something that will release juices. AND this experiment ended up being more like a chili anyway, not a very liquidy soup. Next time I'm sure I'll figure it out...



Here's what you need:
  • 1/2 (15 oz) can whole kernel corn
  • 1/2 (15 oz) can black beans
  • 1/2 (15 oz) can pinto beans (or other bean of your choosing)
  • 1 small can (10 oz) diced tomatoes with habanero peppers (you may choose "green chillies" for a more mild flavor)
  • 1 1/2 tsp. taco seasoning
  • 1/2 package Lightlife "Smart Ground" soy crumbles
  • Shredded mozzarella cheese (optional)
  • Tortilla chips (optional)
Here's the easy part!
Combine all ingredients except cheese and chips into the crock pot. Stir well.
Cover and heat on high for at least an hour. Return to low and let sit until ready to eat.
Top with shredded cheese for garnish and either garnish with chips, or use them as spoons (because who doesn't enjoy eating with their hands!?)

**My recipe is adapted to a 1.5 qt crock pot, it was just enough chili for 4 servings. Doubling it may require extra cooking time to warm up all parts of the chili**


No comments:

Post a Comment