Categories

Tuesday, October 22, 2013

FOOD: PBBPC Sandwich

There is this little restaurant called PB and U and it specializes in peanut butter based foods; smoothies, pizza, fondue, and sandwiches.
But they aren't just ANY peanut butter sandwiches... PB and U makes their own peanut butter and you can choose from a variety of toppings to put on your sandwich including: apples, carrots, cream cheese, bananas, and pretzels. If you can't decide what might go well together; they have recommended combinations to try.
When I first visited I chose to stick with something I knew I was sure to like - PB, nutella, marshmallow fluff, and strawberries. My friends all got something different but the favorite combination of the entire group of friends was the peanut butter, bacon, pickles, and cheddar sandwich.
Now at first it kind of sounds disgusting, but really it's like a bacon cheeseburger, but instead of a burger, it's peanut butter...? Hey, the King of Rock and Roll loved peanut butter and bacon sandwiches. It must not be that bad.
Everyone at the table insisted it was delicious, and I believed them, but being a vegetarian I just HAD to find an alternative to their choice.

So I made a PBBPC sandwich with veggie bacon instead.


Here's what you need:
  • Bread
  • Natural peanut butter (The natural stuff is what PB and U uses since they make their own, and it tastes much more "authentic" and delicious!)
  • Bacon (I used Morning Star veggie bacon)
  • Pickles 
  • Cheddar cheese
Now the important part; the order of each layer. See, you don't want it to be too dry on one side and too moist on the other, or too crunchy and too soft. Trust me, this is something I worked on for about three sandwiches. It's best when you spread only one slice of the toast with the peanut butter; pickles on top, two layers of bacon (because the more bacon, the better), then the slice of toast with melted cheese. Bread, PB, pickles, bacon, cheese, bread.

Fry up the veggie bacon in a skillet over low to medium heat. Be careful not to overcook them. When I used to eat "normal" bacon, I loved it extra crispy. However, I've found that trying to cook veggie bacon extra crispy is not the best way to do it.
Cook each strip so that they become a light brown color on both sides - after that, they start to burn. You want to avoid that...

Cut up enough cheese to cover one slice of bread.
Place the cheese on one slice of bread. The sandwich is so much better with melted cheese so make sure it gets nice and gooey. I use a toaster oven, but you can toast the bread in a toaster and pop it into the microwave for 30 seconds or throw the bread in a skillet and melt the cheese like a grilled cheese.

Toast the other piece of bread and add your peanut butter. I couldn't tell you how much to put on, as it is a matter of preference; however, (to give you an idea) I like my PB&J's loaded with peanut butter and jelly, but I do not like my PBBPC's loaded with as much.


Now ASSEMBLE!
Place the bacon on top of your cheese toast.
Place the pickles on top of the bacon.
Place the pb toast on top of the pickles. (I'm sure you could have figured that out on your own!)

Cut however you'd prefer (diagonal triangles anyone?), and eat while it's still warm. I'm told it goes great with a glass of milk.

No comments:

Post a Comment